If you are facing drug charges, the attorneys at Dunne, Dunne & Cohen, LLC, in Hoboken, NJ, and Kearny, NJ, can represent you and advocate for your rights. We are dedicated to protecting your interests and assisting our clients. Serving clients across New Jersey for over four decades, our drug crimes lawyer can represent you in your defense. We understand how serious these allegations are, and we are familiar with the penalties that can arise as a result. If you or a family member is facing drug charges, you need a knowledgeable criminal lawyer to prepare your defense. Contact us today to learn more.
Types of Drug Charges?
A drug charge refers to the possession, sale, use, or furnishing of any illegal substance. There are several types of drug charges, including:
- Drug Distribution: This refers to a crime in which a controlled substance is sold, delivered, or provided. Oftentimes, people charged with distribution have attempted to sell illegal drugs to undercover law enforcement.
- Manufacturing: Both state and federal law prohibit manufacturing a controlled substance. This refers to the creation or production of illegal substances, such as in meth labs or marijuana growth operations. Additionally, it is considered a crime to be in possession of certain drug precursors, such as lighter fluid, matches, and cold medications. Because these products suggest intent to manufacture, many pharmacies now attentively monitor the sales of these items.
- Trafficking: Elements for a trafficking charge include moving illegal substances across state lines and possessing or distributing a large amount of illegal drugs.
- School Zone Offenses: Manufacturing or distributing illegal substances within 1,000 feet of school property can result in additional charges.
- Personal Use of Marijuana: Possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana is considered a minor offense and carries a maximum penalty of six months in prison and $1,000 in fines. However, first time offenders are eligible for a diversionary program, which involves drug testing in lieu of jail time.
A drug charge, whether it be possession, distribution, or manufacturing, carries serious penalties.
Common Substances Included in Drug Charges
Possession or distribution of any illegal substance can be cause for prosecution. The most common drug charges in New Jersey include:
- Marijuana: Cultivating, distributing, or possessing over 50 grams of marijuana is an offense that can result in a fine, loss of your driver’s license, drug rehabilitation, and up to 18 months in prison.
- Methamphetamine: Drug offenses regarding methamphetamine are typically charged as a third-degree crime, which delivers a penalty of a fine and up to five years in state prison.
- Cocaine: Crimes relating to cocaine are third-degree and can carry a penalty of up to five years of incarceration plus a fine.
- Heroin: Third-degree offenses involving heroin can result in the suspension of your driver’s license, drug counseling, fines, and up to five years in prison.
- Controlled Substances: It is against state and federal law to possess a controlled substance, such as prescription pills, if you are not the valid holder. It is also a crime to provide your prescription drugs to another person. Forging or altering a prescription is also an offense.
Range of Charges
The drug laws in New Jersey are strict. If you are charged, it is important to find a criminal defense lawyer immediately. Do not plead guilty. Contact us to assess your legal options. The range of drug charges in New jersey include:
- Municipal: These courts have jurisdiction of disorderly persons drug offenses, such as possession of marijuana or drug paraphernalia.
- State Felony: The majority of drug charges in America are tried in state courts.
- Federal Charges: This often includes trafficking charges, or transporting illegal substances across state lines.
A drug charge, whether it be possession, distribution, or manufacturing, carries serious penalties. The consequences are even more harsh if the crime was committed on or near school property. New Jersey state policy demands the protection of children from any drug activity. If you are within 1,000 feet of school property when you are arrested on drug charges, it can result in an enhanced penalty.
Contact Us Today
If you or a loved one has been charged with a drug crime, our law firm can help protect your interests and manage your case professionally. Dunne, Dunne, & Cohen, LLC, will help you throughout the entire process of investigation, arrest, detainment, and trial. Your attorney will focus on strategic defense, and can negotiate on your behalf for decreased charges or a reduced sentence. Contact us online today to schedule a consultation or call our Kearny office at (201) 998-2727. The number for our Hoboken office is (201) 998-2727.