Recovering from Devastating Bus Accidents
Because of the size and lack of safety restraints on buses, accidents can cause serious damages, injuries, and even death. A bus accident lawyer understands the transportation industry and can work with experts to determine the cause of the accident, establish liability, and recover compensation for your injuries. The qualified attorneys at Dunne, Dunne & Cohen, LLC in Hoboken, NJ, have been in practice for a total of over 60 years combined and always take an aggressive position when seeking repayment for damages suffered by their clients.
What To Do after a Bus Accident
During any case involving a serious injury, it is critical to take immediate steps after the accident to secure medical care and preserve the evidence. Here are some tips on what you can do after a bus accident to preserve the facts of your case and establish the legal elements needed for a claim:
- Call for medical assistance to tend to personal injuries. The medics on the scene, doctors, or other healthcare providers you see in the moments after an accident are in the best position to evaluate your injuries and provide the care you need to recover.
- Take photos of the accident scene and any injuries suffered.
- Write down the names and phone numbers for any witnesses, so they can be called upon to give their account of how the accident happened.
- Note the time and date of the accident, the bus number and route, and the name of the bus driver.
- Call a bus accident lawyer to take a look at your case.
An attorney will go over the evidence you have gathered and will build upon it by interviewing the bus driver and any witnesses, talking to your doctors about your medical needs, and piecing together the facts of your case. Once they have a strong case in place, they can submit a demand for repayment to be made. If payment is not forthcoming, you have the right to file a lawsuit to recover what you have lost.
Let us look at your case and determine what caused the accident and how you should proceed.
Who Is Responsible for a Bus Accident?
As with a car accident, is it critical to establish liability in a bus accident case. The main difference between a car crash and a bus accident is that an individual driver may not be the sole cause of the accident. In a bus accident, victims should consider whether:
- The bus company engaged in improper training or hiring.
- The company failed to perform necessary maintenance on the bus.
- The bus was filled to overcapacity.
- The driver was incapacitated by the influence of drugs or alcohol, or by fatigue from working too many shifts.
Many of these factors can point back to the bus company, but in some instances the bus driver bears the brunt of responsibility. Drawing the line and making the determination as to who is responsible for a bus accident requires application of both state and federal laws. Having an attorney who understands how the different legal rules and procedures interacts is a must. Let us look at your case and determine what caused the accident and how you should proceed.
Bus Accident Damages
Victims of bus accidents are entitled to recover damages for:
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings
- The cost of medical care and treatment
- Compensation for pain and suffering
If the accident resulted in a wrongful death, certain family members have the authority to bring a wrongful death action. In those cases, the damages include the costs of final medical care, as well as the cost of funeral or other arrangements.
Learn about Your Options
Call our bus accidents lawyer today at (201) 998-2727 or visit us online to schedule your appointment. We provide free initial consultations and give you the answers you need before you make a decision about how to handle your claim.